» Skip to content

Environmental Improvement Services

Removal of Redundant Vehicles and Agricultural Scrap

Full Load Out from Foula Full Load Out from Foula Zoom

The Trust operates a redundant agricultural machinery and end of life vehicle collection service, which is free of charge to Shetland householders. Please note however that the Trust can currently only pick up certain makes of vehicle and that the vehicle or scrap removal request can only be made by the legal owner.

The Trust currently uplifts vehicles on behalf of Car Take Back. The vehicle brands we can uplift are LISTED HERE. If your vehicle make is on this list, and you are the registered owner, please contact us to request free of charge vehicle removal through the Trust.

If your vehicle make is not on this list, it is covered by a contract between the vehicle manufacturer and Autogreen. The Trust does not currently uplift vehicles on behalf of Autogreen and so cannot accept a request for your vehicle. To request uplift of these vehicles you should contact Autogreen on 0800 542 2002, or register your vehicle on their Rewarding Recycling website: https://www.rewardingrecycling.co.uk/

If you have any queries or would like to make a request by telephone, please contact us.

Abandoned Vehicles

Muck and Bruck Muck and Bruck Zoom

If you would like to report a suspected abandoned vehicle, you should report the vehicle location and registration to the Shetland Islands Council Environmental Health Department on 01595 745250.  They will try to locate the owner to request uplift and, if unsuccessful, arrange uplift. Please note: if the SIC arranges uplift they will charge the owner of the vehicle a fee (currently £300).  If you are a landowner and a vehicle has been abandoned on your land please contact Environmental Health.


Once a completed scrap disposal form is received the owner will receive a scrap removal request number. Uplift is usually within 2-6 weeks, however it can be sooner or later depending on the number of requests in the area and/or level of requests on the list. Uplifted scrap is transported to the Trust’s Authorised Treatment Facility for final disposal. In line with European Legislation, vehicles are recycled with all fluids removed and safely disposed.

Certificate of Destruction

Once vehicles have been uplifted and disposed of, owners should receive a Certificate of Destruction from the Trust. If you have not received a Certificate of Destruction within two months of uplift please contact the Trust.

Car Tax Refunds

If you have vehicle tax you would like to claim back on the vehicle you are scrapping, you will need to contact the DVLA for a refund. Details of how to do this can be found here