The Natural Heritage section of Shetland Amenity Trust is responsible for promoting and protecting Shetland’s rich natural heritage, including flora, fauna, habitats and geology. The section has a number of strategic priorities, which include:
- Maintenance of the Shetland Biological Records Centre to collect, collate, manage and disseminate information about Shetland’s natural heritage.
- Raising awareness of, and helping to safeguard Shetland’s biodiversity and geodiversity.
- Providing, developing and improving facilities and resources for the enjoyment by the public of Shetland countryside and it’s flora and fauna.
- The development of an interpretive centre at Sumburgh head, focussing on the natural heritage of the area.
- Maintenance of Geopark Shetland, as part of the European and Global Geopark Networks backed by UNESCO, and promotion of Shetland’s rich and varied geology.
We rely on the generous support of our funders and supporters to continue our work on behalf of Shetland. Everything we do is about caring for Shetland's outstanding natural and cultural heritage on behalf of the community and for future generations. . Donations are welcomed and are essential to our work.