The Natural Heritage section of Shetland Amenity Trust is responsible for promoting and protecting Shetland’s rich natural heritage, including flora, fauna, habitats and geology. The section has a number of strategic priorities, which include:
- Maintenance of the Shetland Biological Records Centre to collect, collate, manage and disseminate information about Shetland’s natural heritage.
- Raising awareness of, and helping to safeguard Shetland’s biodiversity and geodiversity.
- Providing, developing and improving facilities and resources for the enjoyment by the public of Shetland countryside and it’s flora and fauna.
- The development of an interpretive centre at Sumburgh head, focussing on the natural heritage of the area.
- Maintenance of Geopark Shetland, as part of the European and Global Geopark Networks backed by UNESCO, and promotion of Shetland’s rich and varied geology.