Sumburgh Head Lighthouse, Visitor Centre and Nature Reserve – Site specific training for Tour Guides
Shetland Amenity Trust is offering tour guides in Shetland the opportunity to undertake site specific training for Sumburgh Head Lighthouse, Visitor Centre and Nature Reserve.
Sunday 22 September 2019 at 12 noon OR at 2pm
If you are unable to make either of the sessions and are still interested in training please let us know by emaling email@example.com - if there is enough interest we may run a follow up session.
Our guide training includes a tour of the Visitor Centre with our experienced staff, covering all aspects of the Sumburgh Head story to share with your clients, including the engine room and displays, smithy, marine life centre, and WWII radar hut:
- The construction history and changing technology of Sumburgh Head Lighthouse
- What life was like for Lightkeepers and their families
- Sumburgh Head during World War II
- Shetland’s unique marine environment, below and above the waves
Meet in the visitor centre at 12pm or 2pm depending o. the time slot you have booked. All participants will receive an accompanying handout. The training will last approximately 2 hours.
The objectives of the training are to enable tour guides to:
- further develop their knowledge of the lighthouse, its history and stories;
- further develop their knowledge of the wildlife and habitats on the site;
- find out more about what the site has to offer our visitors;
- ask questions and have discussions about the site with our team and fellow guides;
- provide feedback to our team on your experience of guiding on the site and any improvements we can make; and,
- get to know our staff team better and vice-versa.
On satisfactory completion of the training this entitles tour guides to:
- take your customers on a guided tour of the site when it is open;
- complimentary access for you when guiding a paying group on site;
- a discounted rate for your tour group of 50% off the full ticket price (£6 reduced to £3 for adults); and,
- 10% off Shetland Heritage publications for you and your paying tour group.
The training would be valid for 3 years at which point a short refresher may be required.
Cost and Booking
Cost: £15 to be paid in advance