Place Names Blog
Find out more about Shetland's place names, an important component of our cultural heritage, providing vital clues about the environment, history, geography, and the people who lived here in the past: where they came from, what language they spoke and how they used the land.
Our place names expert Eileen Brooke Freeman has developed a series of blogs for us featuring different types of place names. we hope you enjoy them.
- Place name of the week - wicks - published 14th April 2020
- Place name of the week - bisters - published 21st April 2020
- Place name of the week - warts and trigs - published 28th April 2020
- Place name of the week - holms - published 5th May 2020
- Place name of the week - gaets, gotts and veiens - published 12th May 2020
- Place name of the week - kleber, klamel and klemel - published 21st May 2020
We rely on the generous support of our funders and supporters to continue our work on behalf of Shetland. Everything we do is about caring for Shetland's outstanding natural and cultural heritage on behalf of the community and for future generations. . Donations are welcomed and are essential to our work.