One of the aims of the Archaeology Section is to help people to understand their past. This is done in many ways throughout the local community, and using a number of different resources.
- Talking to groups, including schools, retired people and local history groups.
- Involvement in school projects, including those outside the classroom. These projects may include a visit to the Old Scatness site for hands on Living History experiences.
- Visits to Old Scatness, both for general visitors and special interest groups. Pre-booked tours are available.
- Living History, or educational activities at Old Scatness or elsewhere tailored to specific groups.
- Publications for schools, including “How to be a Detective” and the Old Scatness Schools pack.
- The Viking Unst Project
- Interpretive boards and trails.
- Publications e.g. Old Scatness and Viking Unst volumes.