There are a number of ways to become involved with the Shetland Place Names Project:
- Recording names from your local area;
- Photographing and naming interesting features in your landscape;
- Identifying locations for names from the John Stewart or Jakob Jakobsen collections;
- Assisting with transcribing archive collections;
- Sharing old or annotated maps;
- Helping other members of the community to record names which they know.
The Shetland Place Names Project is keen to work with any groups or individuals who think they may be able to help us record more information about our place names.
We can supply you with copies of maps, aerial photos, recording sheets and guidelines.
For more information please contact us.